First things first – I was accepted as an Island Batik Ambassador for 2019! I received a whole bunch of goodies from Island Batik that I will blog about next month. There are many projects and activities planned using Island Batik fabric and products from their affiliates. Over the moon and the stars!
Recently, Curated Quilts put out a call for mini quilts for their next issue. The theme was curves and the color palette included some greens, teal, burgundy and fuchsia. This was my entry. It was not picked for publication but I’m glad I made this and submitted it. Click on the link above and see the incredibly awesome submissions. I’m not surprised at all that mine was not chosen. The picture above was taken indoors near a large window on a bright morning. The subtle shadows makes it look 3D.
This was my first ever curve piecing project and I decided to go improv! I dug through my stash and found a number of prints by Amy Butler, Alison Glass and Tula Pink that more or less fit the color scheme. Next, I layered two fabrics right sides up and cut a gentle curve free hand with a rotary cutter. With out pinning or glueing, I pieced them with a quarter inch seam – just go slow, stop every inch or so to re-position the fabric and use a short stitch length.
Then I repeated the gentle curves again layering with a white fabric. Picked white and print for alternate columns. I had to re-cut some curves to make it work and to fit within the size limit of 16″ square.
I initially wanted to make a rather complicated curved maze, but given the size limit and the size of my columns, I realized it would have to be very simple. At various points in the print columns, I removed a print fabric and replaced it with a piece of white of the same size and shape. It’s a good thing this is all improv and I didn’t have to match any points. I then pieced the curves and trimmed to 16″ X 16″.
I used two layers of wool batting to give it a lot of body. I first quilted along the boundary of the printed area to clearly define the hills (print) and valleys (white). Then, I quilted the white areas heavily to create the difference in texture. After a good bit of quilting, I trimmed again and sewed the binding.
The fuchsia “path” through the maze is a bias binding. I used a quarter inch wide fusible strip (Steam-a-seam) to attach first and them sewed it in using a applique stitch. I call it Burrowing out. When it was all done, it looked like an earthworm burrowing its way in the dirt. I was imagining a great labyrinth that could contain Minotaur but the earthworm won out in the end!
While I am on the topic of mini quilts, I wanted to show a few I made from my pre-blogging days. I made this triangle mini several years – probably 2010 or maybe earlier. The triangles are just appliqued. My son, Vedul, loves this and has it on the wall in his room.
Lightning was made more recently. The yellow bias binding is appliqued to a black fat quarter. I made this to practice FMQ before I started quilting my dad’s quilt – Magic Triangles.
Match was a DREAMi (Drop Eveything And Make It!) from last year. I need to improve upon this pattern and write a tutorial someday …….
Also, this month I will be part of the Black & White Blog Hop organized by Carla of Creatin’ in the Sticks. The Blog hop runs Jan 21st-24th. Please come back to visit. This is a sneak peek of my finished quilt I will be sharing for the blog hop.The Blog hop runs Jan 21st-24th. Please come back to visit. This is a sneak peek of my finished quilt I will be sharing for the blog hop.
Linking to all my favorite Linky parties this week:
Main Crush Monday @ CookingUpQuilts
Linky Tuesday @ Freemotion By The River
Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Needle & Thread Thursday
Finished or not Friday @ BusyHands Quilts
Whoop Whoop @Confessions of a fabric addict
TGIFF hosted by Kathy’s Kwilts