The best part of starting a new quilt – especially a mystery quilt – is to rummage through your stash and pull out the fabric. I had fun pulling out all my large scale prints and finding matching accent and backgrounds.
Alison’s fabric requirements are quite flexible. Head over to her blog for detailed “clues” on how to pick your fabric – scale of prints, contrast, variety, etc. She is making two quilts along with us. Her fabric pull is a good clue as well.
This is my fabric pull. The bright colorful butterfly print is Timeless Treasures Monterrey – Butterfly wings by Chong A Hwang. The mottled fuchsia/magenta is Timeless Treasures Studio-C basics in lipstick (I think). I have an assortment of blues and teals for the coordinating fabrics – most of them are from FQ bundles of Alison Glass Sun print 2018 or Tula Pink True Colors. The background is Kona white.
I wanted to make the twin size but the butterfly fabric is just short of the 1.5 yards needed for twin. Alison has an answer to that too in her blog – She says make a smaller size and then add borders or additional blocks. I may just do that.
Looking forward to a colorful and fun mystery quilt!
First things first – I was accepted as an Island Batik Ambassador for 2019! I received a whole bunch of goodies from Island Batik that I will blog about next month. There are many projects and activities planned using Island Batik fabric and products from their affiliates. Over the moon and the stars!
Recently, Curated Quilts put out a call for mini quilts for their next issue. The theme was curves and the color palette included some greens, teal, burgundy and fuchsia. This was my entry. It was not picked for publication but I’m glad I made this and submitted it. Click on the link above and see the incredibly awesome submissions. I’m not surprised at all that mine was not chosen. The picture above was taken indoors near a large window on a bright morning. The subtle shadows makes it look 3D.
This was my first ever curve piecing project and I decided to go improv! I dug through my stash and found a number of prints by Amy Butler, Alison Glass and Tula Pink that more or less fit the color scheme. Next, I layered two fabrics right sides up and cut a gentle curve free hand with a rotary cutter. With out pinning or glueing, I pieced them with a quarter inch seam – just go slow, stop every inch or so to re-position the fabric and use a short stitch length.
Then I repeated the gentle curves again layering with a white fabric. Picked white and print for alternate columns. I had to re-cut some curves to make it work and to fit within the size limit of 16″ square.
I initially wanted to make a rather complicated curved maze, but given the size limit and the size of my columns, I realized it would have to be very simple. At various points in the print columns, I removed a print fabric and replaced it with a piece of white of the same size and shape. It’s a good thing this is all improv and I didn’t have to match any points. I then pieced the curves and trimmed to 16″ X 16″.
I used two layers of wool batting to give it a lot of body. I first quilted along the boundary of the printed area to clearly define the hills (print) and valleys (white). Then, I quilted the white areas heavily to create the difference in texture. After a good bit of quilting, I trimmed again and sewed the binding.
The fuchsia “path” through the maze is a bias binding. I used a quarter inch wide fusible strip (Steam-a-seam) to attach first and them sewed it in using a applique stitch. I call it Burrowing out. When it was all done, it looked like an earthworm burrowing its way in the dirt. I was imagining a great labyrinth that could contain Minotaur but the earthworm won out in the end!
While I am on the topic of mini quilts, I wanted to show a few I made from my pre-blogging days. I made this triangle mini several years – probably 2010 or maybe earlier. The triangles are just appliqued. My son, Vedul, loves this and has it on the wall in his room.
Lightning was made more recently. The yellow bias binding is appliqued to a black fat quarter. I made this to practice FMQ before I started quilting my dad’s quilt – Magic Triangles.
Match was a DREAMi (Drop Eveything And Make It!) from last year. I need to improve upon this pattern and write a tutorial someday …….
Also, this month I will be part of the Black & White Blog Hop organized by Carla of Creatin’ in the Sticks. The Blog hop runs Jan 21st-24th. Please come back to visit. This is a sneak peek of my finished quilt I will be sharing for the blog hop.The Blog hop runs Jan 21st-24th. Please come back to visit. This is a sneak peek of my finished quilt I will be sharing for the blog hop.
Meet Rainbow Stars – made from a scrumptious fat quarter bundle of True Colors by Tula Pink. I was hoarding this bundle of fabric for many months, waiting for the the perfect pattern/idea to strike. This is also special because it is my first ever commissioned quilt. My college friend Rupa in Australia asked me to make a quilt for her friend. She looked over my quilts and a few on Pinterest and said she wanted something modern with bright colors.
I had just got myself a Tri-recs ruler and put it to work. Tri-recs makes it super easy to make isosceles triangles that fit into squares. They almost look like equilateral triangles but they are not – the base angle is about 63.5 degrees.
I simple laid them out to make interlocking stars, keeping like colors together. The top went together quite quickly.
I quilted three curvy lines inside each triangle and an echo line around the triangles. This left a nice hexagon inside each triangle. I had fun coming up with a different design for each hexagon.
I used some dot-to-dot designs to emphasize the hexagon in some or modify the hexagon in others.
I quilted some swirls and feathers and paisleys in the negative space on top and bottom.
Size: 60″ X 70″
Fabric: True Colors by Tula Pink, Kona cotton silver